Apr 7, 2009

What's Going on with the Demons?

I get questions about the Demons a lot, which is great! I started the Demons website early because I figured that it would draw interest. Having a team creates meaning and a sense of longevity which are essential when trying to create something new. The Demons are real, they just don't formally exist yet.
As I originally stated, my long term plan is to participate on a Des Moines-based team (the Demons) in the Great Plains Lacrosse League. Playing this year would be great, but I know that with lax being completely new to our city, we would be in over our heads. Instead I decided that we should use 2009 as a year to teach and grow the game. As people learn how to play, we will come closer to fielding a team in the GPLL. My tentative plan is to have a competitive team in the league next year. Hopefully we can schedule some scrimmages this summer and fall.
To set a team up, I am going to need some firm commitments. As a base, we will need 12 committed players including at least 1 goalie, 3 long pole defensemen, and 6 short stick players. Because I realize that the game is new, I am more concerned with commitment than skill. We all just want to play and have fun; laxer are usually the most friendly and accommodating athletes you can find.
For the time being, just get involved with playing lacrosse in Des Moines. Contact me, join the Des Moines Lacrosse League, or just show up to a scheduled Central Iowa Lacrosse Association Toss Around for more information. Also, get yourself some lax equipment (at least a stick for now); you'll be able to use hockey gear for all local Toss Arounds and rec league games but the GPLL requires lax-specific pads. The following list is geared towards people buying new equipment or buying equipment for the first time. Brands are not important, but I've chosen fairly neutral colors for flexibility.
Des Moines Demons Required Equipment
If you are planning to buy brand new equipment then please stick to the colors listed below. Unless you find a sweet deal because it doesn't really matter!
Lacrosse Helmet: White shell (most stock helmets are white anyway; black gets really hot); black chins and/or visors are ok
Lacrosse Gloves: Primarily black or white; red, white, silver, and yellow trims are preferred
Lacrosse Shoulder Pads: personal preference as the league does not have regulations on shoulder pads. I recommend them.
Lacrosse Elbow Pads: No color requirements, but try to stay with a neutral color if possible. I recommend Arm Guards (longer) for anyone interested in playing attack of offensive midfield.
Mouthguard: Any color but solid white or clear.Goalies: Goalies wear a special chest protector and are not required to wear elbow pads. They also wear an additional chin piece on their helmet.
Other Recommended Equipment: football or soccer cleats (black or white), lacrosse gear bag, back up stick, lacrosse shorts - black

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creator of the Demons Logo

The Place to Win Free Gear - Join the Warrior Nation